PRADHAN MANTRI UJJWALA YOJANA
26 Aug 2021
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a Scheme of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing
Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) connections to the below poverty line families for their households.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was launched by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on 1st May
2016 and its aim to distribute 50 million LPG connections to women who belong to below poverty
line families. A budgetary allocation of Rs. 80 billion was made for the scheme.
In the First year of the scheme launch, they targeted to only 15 million poverty people. But they gave
connections distributed to 22 million beyond the target.
As 23rd October 2017, 30 million connections were distributed, 44% of which were distributed to the
Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes families.
In the year of 2018, a connection of LPG is crossed to 58 million. Nearly 21,000 camps were
conducted by the Oil Marketing Companies.
In 2019, compared to 2014 this scheme led to an increase in LPG consumption by 56%.
The scheme has highly benefited to below poverty line over 14.6 million in Uttar Pradesh, 8.8 million
in Bihar, 7.1 million in Madhya Pradesh and 6.3 million in Rajasthan.
In the Union Budget of 2021 to 2022, the government allotted 1 crore connections provided under
This Scheme of Success with almost 98% coverage of liquefied petroleum gas in India. However, in
the past five years, there has been only a 20% increase in the overall usage of clean cooking fuel,
reveals a latest government surveys says 22 States.
In India, the poverty people have limited facilities for cooking gas i.e., LPG. The spread of LPG
Cylinder has been mostly facilitated in the urban and semi- urban areas because they have
transportation facilities to move the cylinders frequently, but in rural areas few are not aware and
few are not interested for the cooking gas and few will use the cooking gas. By using fire wood and
coal, etc are used for cooking by few poverty people. By using these associated cooking based on
fossil fuels women are suffering from serious health hazardous.
According to World Health Organisation, they estimated about 5 Lakh deaths in India occurring due
to unclean cooking fuels. And most of premature deaths were due to non-communicable diseases
like Heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer. Indoor air
pollution is also responsible for serious number of acute respiratory illnesses in young children of
According to Experts opinion, having an open fire in a kitchen is similar to burning 400 cigarettes per
hour. So, trying to avoid these uses will save our health and life.
LPG connection is provided to below poverty line for the households and LPG will ensure worldwide
usage in their daily life. This will also helps in safeguarding their health. It will reduce the work and
the time spent on cooking. Government will also provide employment for rural youth in the supply
of cooking gas for below poverty line chain.
At the 107th Indian Science Congress held in January 2020 in Bangalore, Narendra Modi declared that
technology has helped India “In recognizing the 8 crore women who were still using coal or wood for
cooking” and also “in understanding how many new distribution centres must be built, via the help
Scheme Attribute Details
Scheme Name Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Launched by (Prime Minister) Narendra Modi
Launch Date 01-May- 2016
Main Objective Provide LPG connections to all below poverty
Other Objective Reduce health hazards/diseases and air pollution
caused by the use of unclean fossil fuels
Target Distribution of LPG connections among 5 Crore
below poverty line households by the year 2018-
Time Frame 4 Years, Full Year: 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19,
Total Budget Rs. 8000 Crore and additional 4800 Crore
Financial Assistance Rs. 1600/- per LPG connection
Aim of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:-
• Provide free LPG cylinder to all below poverty line people’s households
• Provide woman with clean fuel for the purpose of cooking and protect them from the hazards of
using wood and coal as a source of cooking
• Addressing the concerns related to health due to the use of firewood which may cause
hazardous diseases. Ensure that every household is smoke-free
• It benefit 5 Crore women under the Scheme
• It aims at being a comprehensive direct intervention initiative for women
Objective of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:-
• To boost women empowerment
• To protect their health
• To provide healthy cooking fuel
• To prevent health hazards due to the usage of cooking based of fossil fuel
• To prevent women and young children from significant number of acute respiratory illnesses
caused due to indoor air pollution by burning the fossil fuel
• To prevent gas burns to the women and protect them from gas fire
Features of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:-
• The Scheme will provide 5 crore LPG connections to below poverty line families
• The Scheme will be provide financial support of Rs.1, 600 for each LPG connection given to
below poverty line people
• Equated Monthly Instalments (EMI) facilities will be given for stove and refill cost. So they can
have facilities and easy payment
• Installation of LPG will be borne by the Government by giving administrative cost of Rs. 1,600
• This Scheme is a complementary to the huge middle class families by the Prime Minister’s ‘Give
it Up Campaign’ and it voluntarily surrendered their cooking gas subsidy by the below poverty
Beneficiaries of Pradhan Manthri Ujjwala Yojana:-
The following will get the scheme benefits. They are:
• All SC/ST’s households beneficiaries of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
• Antyodaya Anna Yojana
• Forest Dwellers
• Most Backward Classes
• Residents of islands and river islands
• List of beneficiaries in the Socio-Economic Caste Census ,2011
• Tea and Ex-tea garden tribes
• Caste certificate is not required to avail the connection under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
• A single women family who is eligible as per the criteria can apply for the free gas connection
under this scheme
Benefits to the citizens:-
Under this scheme, 5 crore LPG connections are to be provided to below poverty line households.
The scheme provides a financial help of Rs.1, 600 for each LPG connection to the below poverty line
households, interest free loan to purchase stove and refill by Oil Marketing Companies. The
administrative cost of Rs. 1, 600 per each connection, which includes a cylinder, pressure regulator,
booklet, safety house, and etc., would be given by the Government.
Eligibility Criteria for the Scheme:-
The people who are below poverty line people and are interested and in need for the Pradhan
Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will have to go to the LPG distribution center which is nearest to their place
and ask for the prescribed application form.
• A women must be minimum of 18 years age as on May 1st 2016
• A women should belongs to a below poverty line household
• A woman should not already own an LPG connection in her house.
The main documents that need to be submitted to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
1. Aadhar Card or Voter ID Card
2. Savings Account Passbook or bank account statement
3. Residence proof (in the form of telephone/ electricity/ water or telephone bill/ house
4. Below poverty line Ration Card
5. Below poverty line certificate authorized by the Panchayat Pradhan
6. A recent passport size photograph
7. E-KYC needs to be
The application form along with these attached documents will have to be submitted with the LPG
office in the area. The LPG field officials will check the information given by the applicant and verify
the details with the Socio Economic and Caste Census to confirm eligibility.
When applicant is found eligible, then the LPG gas cylinder will be provided to the applicant and she
can also opt for an EMI option to buy the stove’s cost and the first refill cost.
The subsidies for LPG would be sent directly into the savings accounts of the women in need, so that
corruption practices may eliminate.
Implementation modalities of the Scheme:-
• A woman of the below poverty line household, which does not have access to LPG connection
may apply for a new LPG connection to the LPG distributor
• When applicant submits the application forms, applicant woman will have to submit the details
like Name, Address, and Bank Account and Aadhar number
• The LPG field officials will cross check the application through Socio Economic and Caste Census-
2011 database and after they find outing their below poverty line status, they enter the
information into a dedicated Oil Marketing Companies (OMC) web portal through a login and
password given by them
• OMC’s will conduct the de-duplication exercise and other measures for due diligence
• By completing the all steps which are mentioned above, the LPG connection will be issued by the
Oil Marketing Companies
• The Government bears the connection of gas cylinder and stoves charges and the Oil Marketing
Companies will offer EMI option to the applicant, and the same will be recovered from the
subsidiary which is given to the applicant bank account
• In case if the State Government or voluntary organization or any individual wants to contribute
to the cost of stove or for the refill of the first cylinder then they can do so; and the same will be
done under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana only
• The release of new connections will also be done by the Oil Marketing Companies through
Exhibitions and Melas at various locations in various parts of the cities
• The scheme will cover the below poverty line families under all application forms of
distributorship and various types and sizes of cylinders and other materials depending on the
field and place of situation
As per the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme the beneficiaries has been announced that refills
of the cylinders from one to three cylinders of 14.2Kg and the advance of the retail selling price will
be transferred by the Oil Marketing Companies to the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana customer’s
bank account which can be withdrawn to obtain to refill from the distribution officer.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana applicants/ customers battle in these COVID-19 situations. This
Scheme was valid till the 30th September 2020 due to the COVID -19 crises. The extension of this
scheme was announced in the Budget 2021 to cover one crore more beneficiaries under this
Budget and Funding for the Scheme:-
This Scheme is being implemented by the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas. The budget that
has been allotted by the government is currently Rs. 2000 crore for the financial year 2016 to 2017.
These LPG connections will be provided to over 1.5 Crore families living below the poverty line.
This Scheme will be implemented over a period of three years and a total amount of Rs. 8,000 Crores
has been allotted for it. Money that has been saved due to the ‘Give-it-up’ subsidy campaign will
also be used for the same. Eligible households will receive a support of Rs. 1,600 and will be in the
name of the female head of the entire household. EMI facilities have also been made available.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Helpline:-
The nationwide Pradhan Manthri Ujjwala Yojana Helpline number is 1906. It is a 24*7 helpline
number of LPG leakage complaints.
For more information, contact toll free number 18002333555 or 1906 (24*7 Helpline for LPG
And the official website of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is www.pmuy.gov.in.
Criticism of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:-
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana achieved a lot from the date of its implementation, and it also faced
a lot of issues. The major issue that this scheme faced is that sustained use of LPG by beneficiaries.
Though the scheme has provided monetary help during installation, it has not been of much help
during subsequent refills. As a result, a significant section of beneficiaries has not been selected for
the refill due to high prices after having used LPG. The numbers of LPG connections are rapidly
increased but the refill rate has been decreased. People in rural areas use massive amounts of
energy to meet the demands of large quantity of fodder for cattle, heating water during winter, etc.
this may increases the cost of use in case of LPG. And few LPG connectors can’t bare the prices of
the refilling cylinders and they think that is expensive, so for saving money they switch to the use of
traditional cooking fuel for households.
For people who are unaware about the stove and cylinder, if the cylinder gets empty without any
warning also becomes a trouble for below poverty line people who find it difficult to arrange the
money for the purchase of cylinder immediately. Even if money is arranged then arrival of refilled
cylinder takes time and it causes inconvenience to them.
And the major issue is that they are using the traditional fuel for cooking purpose but they believe
that the food cooked by using traditional fuels is good for health and tastes better and it costs less so
they can save money and it becomes a primary source for cooking. Though they receive the LPG
cylinder they are using it as an alternative purpose of cooking. The rural area people are unaware
about the ill effect of the firewood and coal etc, and they are not willing to change to an alternative
option for cooking purpose.
People are even unaware about the LPG cylinders safety measures and their usages, so they use it
recklessly unaware of the consequences which may result in causing injuries or even may cause
death. Such as LPG under leaking roof can cause corrosion of burners, storing of kerosene or any
other which easily catches the fire, cow dung, straw, etc .and also ventilation room increases the risk
of fire in the house.
• To aware the people in rural areas or people who has no knowledge about the usage and safety
measures of the stove and cylinder
• And government should also make advertisements in radios, televisions, newspapers, road
shows, banners, etc. Massive safety campaign needs to be organized in order to ensure safe
usage of LPG by the scheme beneficiaries
• The Government need to give a book of usage and safety measures. In that book they should
provide with sketches of usages so people who don’t know how to read, they can refer to it by
seeing those instructions and step by step in using the cylinders.
• The Government needs to increase the subsidy for refill of LPG, as cost of refill is one of the
primary reasons for not opting LPG and there is a need to increase the subsidy amount for each
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana has been launched for the purpose of empowerment of women, to
protect the health of women from preventing the hazards diseases by traditional fuel cooking. The
scheme has successfully achieved its target, in fact it achieved more than the target it achieved. And
it has assisted in ensuring that women are not exposed to the harmful emission from burning coal,
This scheme helps below poverty line by supporting them by giving subsidy for stove and LPG
cylinder. At the same time they have some criticism for this scheme. Everything has some
advantages and disadvantages, and nothing is prefect without any criticism. At least the government
is trying to support the below poverty people.
In my opinion:-
We need to help the people who are unaware about this scheme so they can benefited from that
and we need to be aware on how to use the facilities given by the government and make them
aware about the safety measures. We can’t expect everything done by the Government, so let us
take up a few responsibilities by giving awareness to the people.