Drug addiction and Youth
19 Jan 2022
The ruthless cycle of drug abuse
Addiction doesn’t discriminate. It is complicated, somehow perpetual and is due to anxiety, peer pressure etc. Drug addiction is prevailing among them. Drugs affect the physical and mental condition of a person significantly. It can start at any point of time. It usually starts in a friendly way and becomes an addiction overtime. The alarming rate of drug consumption has always been a problem and has detrimental effects on society. Personal and family problems also lead to drug abuse among youngsters who fail to deal with personal problems. The physiological effects of drug addiction can be difficult to endure and this is why the addict must be treated for their condition. The worst thing is that drugs affect youth in every country of the world.
What are the causes of drug addiction?
People having mental issues try to find a gateway from reality and start liking the fanatic dream world which psychedelic takes them. Drug abuse is a short term escape for people with ongoing traumas and mental issues which later hampers their mental and social health more making them addicts.
2. Peer Pressure and Social Acceptance
It has become such a thing that even though people resist, continuous force from peers for trying stuff and the pressure of societal acceptance tends to push people towards drug abuse and addiction.
3.High Level Stress
Young people who have just started their college life or moved to a new city in search of a job often face problems with life change. They are more likely to alleviate stress through the use of drugs and similar substances. Finding an easy fix often seems easier than facing the real problem and dealing with it. Trying illegal drugs can lead to addiction and becomes a long term habit.
4.Exposure to Drug Abuse
Exposure to drug abuse in which the young people are raised is another cause why young people get addicted to drugs. If the individuals grow up in an area where adults use drugs, then the person is likely to try the substance themselves. Setting a good example is extremely important to keep them off drugs and related substances. Providing genuine information about drugs is the best way to prevent drug addiction.
What are the effects of drug addiction?
1) Mood swings , anxiety , depression , violence , heart attack , irregular heartbeat , and contraction of HIV , respiratory problems , lung cancer , etc. are some of the emotional and physical problems people experience.
2) Effects of drug addiction are seen in people because the drug floods the brain repeatedly with chemicals. The brain becomes highly dependent on these drugs and cannot function without them. Drugs can impact daily activities by causing problems with memory, decision making, mental confusion and even permanent brain damage. Drug addiction can cause the liver to work harder, causing significant liver failure or damage.
3) Short term effects :
A lot of people do not realize the damage caused by drug addiction because the short term effects are not apparent at first. The individual may feel quite invincible and unaware that drugs can actually affect almost every system in the body. The long lasting effects of drug addiction may not be known to addicts. If treatment is not sought in time, the physical and emotional health will deteriorate.
4) Long Term Effects
The long term effects of drug addiction can have disastrous consequences on physical and mental health. As the body adapts to the substance, it needs an increasing amount of it to experience the desired outcome. As the individual continues to increase the dosage, he/she may develop physical dependence. The individual may face deadly withdrawal symptoms, once he/she stops using the substance.
5) Legal consequences : Drug abuse not only causes negative effects on your physical and mental health, but can have legal consequences. Individuals may have to deal with the legal consequences for the rest of their life. A lot of companies require the employees to take drug tests before offering a job. Driving under the influence of drugs can lead to serious legal action and even heavy fines.
Different factors may raise a young person's risk for drug use, including -
1.Stressful early life experiences, such child abuse, child sexual abuse, and other forms of trauma
3.Prenatal exposure to alcohol or other drugs
4.Lack of parental supervision or monitoring
5.Having peers and/or friends who use drugs.
Which drugs are most commonly used by young people?
The drugs that are most commonly used by young people are alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana. Recently, more young people have started vaping tobacco and marijuana. There is still a lot we
don't know about the dangers of vaping. Some people have unexpectedly gotten very ill or have even died after vaping. Because of this, young people should stay away from vaping.
How can we prevent drug addiction?
1. Family influence:- Parents can talk to their children and explain the consequences of drug and alcohol abuse.
2. Educational tool:- There are government agencies,community leaders and school personnel that attempt to teach the children about drug free life.
3. Stop addiction before it gets worse:- Prevention strategies can help stop teens from developing a subset use disorder,however, treatment is best for teens who already have a problem. Treatment puts teens in the care of medical professionals with tools of recovery.
4. Keep track of prescription drugs:- Take an inventory of all prescription and over the counter medications in your home.
5. Set a good example:- If you drink, do so in moderation. Use prescription drugs as directed. Don't use illicit drugs.
6. Consider media messages:- social media, songs or movies can glamorize or trivialize drug use. 7. Provide support:- offer praise and encouragement when your teen succeeds. 8. Encourage honesty:- Speak calmly and Express that you are coming from a place of concern.
9. Get professional help:- If you think the teen is involved in significant drug use contact a doctor or other health care provider for help.
10. Check in regularly:- spend more time with them and ask questions when they return home.
Life isn’t a bed of roses. Ups and downs are a part and parcel of it . It’s easy to resort to wrong practices but it might take a lifetime to come out of the malpractices.
While it’s practically impossible to prevent anyone and everyone from using drugs, there are things we can all do to avoid drug abuse.
1. Effectively deal with peer pressure
2.Deal with life pressure
3. Follow constructive hobbies or passion.
4.Keep a well balanced life
5.Develop close family ties
So, choose hugs not drugs! Drugs are never a solution to the problems in one's life. It gives temporary space , temporary pleasure but can never solve one's problem. So , one should never rely on drugs to find pleasure or peace instead should solve the problem by consulting someone.
- By Dipshika Sen